Over the last few years, UIE has been studying what strategies teams use to inform design. They discovered that there are five common decision styles:
- Unintended design: one on the team pays attention to design
- Self Design: the team design with themselves as the target users
- Genius Design: the team draws on previous research experience
- Activity-Focused Design: the team base their decisions on research of users' activities
- User-Focused Design: the team informs designs on in-depth user research that goes beyond activities by investigating the goals, needs, and contexts of the users.
UIE found that the most effective teams are skilled in all the styles and capable choosing the right style in the right situation.
- 5 Design Decision Styles. What's Yours?
- January 22, 2009
See also: User research (24)