In order to evaluate the quality of recommendations in usability reports, the CUE-4 study analysed reports from 17 usability teams who independently evaluated the usability of a hotel's website.
The study showed that only 17% of the recommendations were both useful and communicated in a comprehensible way.
In the light of their findings, the authors give the following recommendations:
- Communicate each recommendation clearly at the conceptual level
- Ensure that the recommendation improves the overall usability of the application
- Be aware of the business or technical constraints
- Show respect for the product team's constraints
- Solve the whole problem, not just a special case
- Make recommendations specific and clear
- Avoid vagueness by including specific examples in your recommendations
- Making Usability Recommendations Useful and Usable
- August 27, 2007
See also: Research (129) Usability testing (68)